Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Glazed and Waiting


I'm getting a little more comfortable with a few things.  Throwing, for example.  Tim D. has been helping with that.

When I made some noise about wanting to work on some basics, he answered with a question:
"How would you teach someone to make a bowl?"
I muttered something, I don't remember what.  Tim said:
"I guess there are two ways.  Let me draw you one of 'em."
He did that.  Then sat me down, had me throw a cylinder, and had me use a stick to open it into a trumpet and then from there, into a bowl.  
He never did get around to showing me the second way.  This way seemed to work well enough.

Here are some faceted bowls, with a little mucking around with a wax-resist brush before the second coat of the tenmoku-like glaze I laid on 'em.  And the rice bowls are celadon on the outside over a slapped-on-with-a-big-calligraphy-brush brown slip.  Inside is an opaque, non-shiny yellow they have under the glaze table that I rather like.  

I have this odd feeling that they looked better before I glazed them.  The faceted bowls, I mean.  (The larger scrafitto bowls, well, we'll see what happens.  They look lumpy, sitting all glazed and waiting.) 



Kiln gods are doing whatever kiln gods do while I wait for the stuff to get into the kiln.

No comments:

Post a Comment